Thursday, March 16, 2006

Throwing Snowballs at the Lake


Throwing Snowballs at the Lake
By 24thcentury on 21st February, 2006.
Most of my shots aim to capture the world as it appears to everyone. This is one of the rare pictures that I've staged an element (the snowball) to highlight something I felt or recreate a scene in my head.

While crouching on the snowy beach, trying to capture the magnitude of the lake (which was frustratingly hard), I thought it would be interesting to show the water actually lapping the snowline. The tide had receeded and that shot wasn't possible, so I picked up some snow and threw it at the new waterline. I like the haphazard way that it fell. It made me think of a child throwing...well...snowballs into the lake. A whimsical, futile gesture that seemed full of melancholy and meditation.

The juxtaposition of the small, bounded, crumbled lump of snow in the foreground with the vast, constant lake dominating the middleground really grabbed me. Water to water...

No comments: